Saturday, June 6, 2009

I Love RSS (Really Simple Syndication)

I am considered the "computer guy" the "tech guy" and the "car guy" to just about everyone who knows me. The only sport I am interested in is football, and I know jack about it. However, I am very passionate about computers, technology, movies, music and cars. Talk to me about those subjects and I'll probably put you to sleep.

In all of my understanding about computers and the Internet, I never figured out RSS. Until today. I figured it out by accident.

I'm a Mac and I enjoy using EVERYTHING by Apple. I currently use Safari 4 Beta on my MacBook Pro. The reload button was relocated next to the RSS button in the address bar. I wanted to reload a page and clicked the blue RSS button instead. A drop down menu asked if I wanted the feed in Atom or RSS. Since I didn't know what Atom was, I chose RSS. Before I knew it, updates to the feeds from the blogs I follow appeared in Mail. I liked that very much, because I had a faster way of knowing when my favorite blogs were updated.

But, opening Mail just to use Safari became a chore, so I adjusted some settings and my RSS updates now show in Safari. I created a dedicated RSS folder, moved it to my Bookmarks Bar with all of my favorite websites, and now, I get a number whenever any of my RSS sites are updated.

I love it!

No comments: