Monday, October 5, 2009

Give A Man Something To Do

The other day, I responded to an ad placed by a woman who needed help reinstalling Mac OS X 10.4 on her eMac.  I travelled from College Park to Norcross to assist her and receive $30 for my effort.

During this time of protracted unemployment, I remembered something I heard in a movie, Flight of the Phoenix:

All a man needs in this life is someone to love.
If you can't give him that, give him something to hope for.
If you can't give him that, give him something to do.

I am very motivated by my hopes and dreams.  It is the reason why I quit my very secure City of LA job in 2005.  I wanted a better life for myself.  I want a better retirement for myself.  I see the writing on the wall now and I wanted to make all the mistakes while I am still young enough to afford them.

I feel that I am going through all of this because I need to learn something I never would have understood had I remained in my comfort zone. I have learned more in four years of financial and employment adversity than in fifteen years of reading books about financial success.

I am at the Apple Store at Lenox Mall, waiting for something to do. I tried going to a restaurant today, but it took me so long to get there, I missed the 2:30 PM to 4 PM cut-off window to apply for the job.  So, I will go again tomorrow. However, I am on my way to a photographer's house in Decatur to assist him with a simple computer problem.  Why?  Because I want something to do - even if it doesn't pay - to justify spending $15 a week on bus fare.

1 comment:

secondn8 said...

have you thougth about the airport ??? With all the companies the openings are in the hundreds... try HMS Host or Mac Wilborn(own multiple concepts) or the job board for the airport.