I have heard both sides of this argument, one side arguing for equal rights and the other basically saying that their faith tells them marriage is between a man and a woman, or that they simply believe that it is wrong for members of the same sex to marry.
To all those that feel for whatever reason marriage should restricted to one man and one woman, I ask one question - Looking at the quality of your life today, if same sex marriage is legalized in your community, how will the decision cause you personal pain?
Will your job opportunities improve?
Will your income rise?
Will your taxes be reduced?
Will first-class health care be easily available without cost to everyone in your community?
Will public transit improve in your area?
Will your community have unrestricted access to higher education?
Will your drinking water improve?
Will the quality of your food be better?
Will the threat of a nuclear weapon being dropped in your backyard be eliminated?
I know how same sex couples will be affected. Their lives together will be happier than they are today because they will have equal access to what 51% of heterosexual couples take for granted.
I had a dream in which my 12-year-old and I were in my mom's backyard, looking at the stars. He asked me if God exists. I said, "Yes." He asked me how did I know. I said, "Look up at the stars. The space you see between the stars - outer space - is God. He is everywhere, forever expanding without beginning or end."
I wonder what is on the other side of outer space.
I like to think that sometimes God is in another galaxy, looking past all the other stars and planets to look at Earth, looking through the clouds and past all of the other 6+ billion people on this planet to finally find me, all alone in my windowless room, rebuilding my life. Does He really care if I decide to marry one other person, whether it be a man or a woman? Does He really care if two specific people on this planet decide to engage in a legal construct we created?
I think God cares if we make a promise to Him.
The Bible says He does care about marriage. Those that feel marriage belongs to the realm of heterosexual men and women universally hold up the Bible as the basis of their reasoning.
According to my "faith", the Bible tells me that Jesus loves me because he died for my sins. The Bible also tells me that I am destined for hell because I have fallen short of the glory of God.
The Bible also says that murders and rapists should be put to death and a whole bunch of other things this country does not address.
One day, while living in Saint Louis, I discovered my highest thought - I wanted to die. I wanted to die because everyone around me - for as long as I can remember - seemed to want me to die. And, according to the Bible, my faith, God wanted me to die. This thought - my highest thought - became the foundation of virtually every interaction I have ever had with every one and every thing around me. As such, during the past few years, all I have ever worked for eventually died.
I learned to isolate myself from others, protecting my secret at any cost. In the process, my second highest thought emerged - I wanted to be alone. I didn't want ANYONE to know about me because I did not want to be hated. I didn't want to be rejected. I did not want to experience any more pain. The fact that I am publishing this blog with my face on it is a very big deal.
As I walked down the street on that sunny day in Saint Louis and the core thoughts of my soul were revealed to me, I decided to stop torturing myself and embrace the inevitable - according to the Bible - my faith - I am going to hell and there is nothing I can do about it.
I prayed to God and thanked Him for my life.
I prayed that I do not hate Him that I am going to hell. According to the Bible, He knew before I was created that I would feel different than the other boys would that day in elementary school. It's not fair, but it's OK.
I prayed that I will continue to be thankful to Him, to be as generous as I possibly can, to be as helpful as I can be and to live a good life, even if I end up burning in hell for eternity.
Why? Because I want to be good to everyone I meet in my lifetime. Because that is the life I want.
For years, I thought I didn't take my life because I was worried about how my mother would handle it. Later, I was worried about how my nephew would handle it. Eventually, I realized that I will not take my life because I am curious on how I will live this life. I want to know just how much I will accomplish with the rest of my life.
When I accepted the inevitable, an anchor was cut loose. I felt happier. Instead of anger and sadness, I felt free. I felt like living, putting my best foot forward in all I do. I also realized that those who are happier in life know how to effectively manage rejection and hate, the lowest forms of pain.
Some people won't like this post, and that's OK. I am tired of being controlled by other people's rejection.

No comments:
Post a Comment