The other day, I had a profound thought: laws are supposed to benefit, protect and penalize all citizens equally.
I've never attended law school or discussed my opinion with someone who has a law background, but this seems like reasonable sense to me. It is unfortunate that all of our laws are not applied fairly.
When I look at the issue of same-sex marriage, it is clear that the entire situation is unfair when four basic questions are asked. In fact, these four questions can be applied to any law.
1. Who benefits if a resolution becomes law?
1a. How?
1b. Why?
2. Who does not benefit if a resolution becomes law?
2a. How?
2b. Why?
3. Who benefits if a resolution does not become law?
3a. How?
3b. Why?
4. Who does not benefit if a resolution does not become law?
4a. How?
4b. Why?
Written another way:
If same-sex marriage is legal in this country, who benefits?
If same-sex marriage is legal in this country, who does not benefit?
If same-sex marriage is not legal in this country, who benefits?
If same-sex marriage is not legal in this country, who does not benefit?
To understand the importance of these questions, remove "same-sex" from each of the questions and ask them again. Throw in some other long-time favorites, like pornography, bearing of arms, etc.
During all the argument surrounding same-sex marriage in this country, I noticed that no one has ever asked those four questions.
Last time I checked, God gives all of us free will - if you believe God exists. It's the laws of man that restrict us.
I believe that if a person wants to marry, they should have the free will to marry whomever is willing to enter in such an agreement with them. Let that couple deal with the spiritual, psychological and social consequences in their own way, without religious influence.
I should not have the right to go to a ballot box and essentially order an atheist or agnostic couple that they cannot marry because they do not believe in God.
No one should be able to vote on a constitutional amendment that penalizes me for choosing to remain single.
Proposition 8 and all of these "marriage laws" deprive a specific group of people of their right to choose who they wish to marry, in order to satisfy the spiritual needs of religious people.
I would be interested in reading a well-reasoned viewpoint where no references to the Bible or reproduction are mentioned.
I find it amazing that the church casts you out and calls you everything but a child of God when you don't follow the rules, and then still wants to run your life when it comes to the establishment of laws that should benefit all of us equally. I respect the rights of the church and its members. The church should respect the rights of those who do not want to belong to the church. I really hope that whoever decides this truly believes in the separation of church and state.
They call me a freak:
-
You have heard of freakazoids, freaky behavior, even freaks of nature. Rick
James wrote a song about a super freak. And I can remember back then if you
wer...
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment